June 30, 2012

Tour de McMinnville

Due to a recent series of life-altering events in the lives of family and dear family friends, I suddenly have a renewed determination to live life to the fullest.  You know,



I want to be healthy, age gracefully, and want to "walk the walk" when I talk about being respectful of my planet.  With that in mind, meet my friend Bessie Bicycle. Eat your heart out, Tour de France cyclists!



Ol' Bessie is has been unearthed after a 6-year stint in storage and is delighted to see the light of day.  She has been dusted, de-rusted, oiled and inflated.  I have been on three short rides in the past week with my sweetie Dave, and can't believe how much I still love flying down the road on my trusty multiple-speed steed. 

This morning we went about five miles and in a nod to the inspirational cyclists over in France, we rewarded ourselves with coffee and pastry at our favorite coffeehouse.

Although my legs feel like wobbly Jell-o each time when I get home, I am in better shape than I thought-- no soreness or leg cramps have reared their ugly heads.

Ol' Bessie is a bike I got at a yard sale about 12 years ago.  I think she is some kind of mountain bike, but I really don't have a clue.  She reminds me a little of my favorite bike I had in high school and college.  It had just three speeds but carried me to school and back, and on hundreds of other adventures. By my calculation, Ol' Bessie has 21 speeds, and I haven't a clue what to do with about 18 of them.  But I suppose I'll figure it out.  

Do you have memories of a favorite bike? Do you know what to do with 21 speeds? Are you following the Tour de France? Did you carpe diem today? Let me know in the comments section of this post.


1 comment:

Catherine said...

Excellent post Susan Faye ~ some very wise words indeed! I don't have any particular bike riding memories but I have taken the pledge to get myself healthier!

Wishing you a beautiful July!
xo Catherine