November 25, 2010

Every Gift Has A Story

The best gift I ever received was on my 4th birthday in 1959. It was a little wooden oven that was just the perfect size for a tiny girl. My dad (a carpenter) had hand-crafted it from wood scraps out of the garage. Its surface was unpainted to show off the beauty of the wood and it had knobs that really turned, burners made out of coffee can lids, and a door that would open and close so I could put Bingo the Cat inside to "cook" him as needed (hey, I was only 4!). It was a thing of beauty and I loved touching the wood--sanded to silken smoothness, with every corner and edge rounded to perfection.

And thus began my appreciation for fine craftsmanship and things handmade...

Many years later the tradition would continue when my dad hand-crafted this exquisite Sam Maloof-inspired child-size rocking chair for my son Chris who was 1-1/2 years old at the time (he's 23 now!). Some of the wood in this chair is from an old Chinese elm tree from our family home that was cut down when I was 11!

I have the pleasure of being the keeper of the chair until Chris has a place of his own where he can display it. It is a thing of beauty and I love touching the wood--sanded to silken smoothness, with every corner and edge rounded to perfection.

Thanks Dad (and Mom too--for teaching me how to sew on Grandma's treadle sewing machine and so much more!). Today I am thankful for growing up in a Handmade Haven and proud to carry on the tradition of making things with my hands for others to enjoy!!

video courtesy of Etsy.com...

1 comment:

Cat said...

Wishing you and yours a healthy, happy Thanksgiving!